Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Vegan's Hundred.

Hannah over at Bittersweet posted this list in response to The Omnivore's Hundred meme that has been making the rounds in the blogosphere. Since I never seem to have time to cook anymore, and always forget to take pictures of all the amazing food I've been eating out lately, I figured I'd fill this out. All the items on this list are either vegan by nature or can be made vegan.


Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

1) Copy this list into your own blog, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Post a comment here once you’ve finished and link your post back to this one.
5) Pass it on!

1. Natto
but my boyfriend was too freaked out by it to try it! ha!

2. Green Smoothie

3. Tofu Scramble

4. Haggis
I've actually had the traditional version when I was a kid (with neeps and tatties!) and I would be willing to try the vegan version, but it's not something I'd seek out.

5. Mangosteen
I'm dying to have one, and I was going to stop by Chinatown last time I was in Toronto to get some, but I forgot. next time!

6. Creme brulee
again, I've had the non-vegan version many times, but not a vegan version.

7. Fondue

8. Marmite/Vegemite
of the two, I am a Marmite gal.

9. Borscht

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Nachos

12. Authentic soba noodles

13. PB&J sandwich

14. Aloo gobi
My second-favourite Indian dish (number one? masala dosas.)

15. Taco from a street cart
there are no taco carts in my neighborhood, but I love street food, so I'd definitely go for this.

16. Boba Tea
I love a good bubble tea, but I haven't had a vegan-milk version. I hear Lolo will have a recipe in her new cookbook though...

17. Black truffle
oh god, I wish I had some truffled-anything right now.

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
I have had some amazing peach wine.

19. Gyoza

20. Vanilla ice cream

21. Heirloom tomatoes
I just had some for lunch!

22. Fresh wild berries

23. Ceviche
I've had the fish-version, and I'm surprised that this can be made vegan. Ceviche is a very textural experience. What can you use to mimic the texture of the fish that doesn't compromise the flavour?

24. Rice and beans
I ate so much of this in college.

25. Knish
I LOVE KNISH!

26. Raw scotch bonnet pepper
I like spicy foods, but this is a no.

27. Dulce de leche
again, not the vegan version.

28. Caviar
I've seen faux-caviar made from things like fruit juice, but I've never had it.

29. Baklava

30. Pate

31. Wasabi peas
huge fan of wasabi peas. I love crushing them and using them as a breading for fried tofu too.

32. Chowder in a sourdough bowl

33. Mango lassi

34. Sauerkraut
a very common food for my half-German family.

35. Root beer float

36. Mulled cider

37. Scones with buttery spread and jam

38. Vodka jelly

39. Gumbo

40. Fast food french fries
I certainly would never eat at a mcdonalds or burger king, but I wonder what exactly fast-food implies.

41. Raw Brownies

42. Fresh Garbanzo Beans
I so desperately want to try these. Especially after seeing this post over at Becks and Posh

43. Dahl

44. Homemade Soymilk

45. Wine from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more

46. Stroopwafle

47. Samosas

48. Vegetable Sushi

49. Glazed doughnut

50. Seaweed

51. Prickly pear

52. Umeboshi
which I love, and I know not a lot of people enjoy.

53. Tofurkey

54. Sheese

55. Cotton candy

56. Gnocchi
I really want to try making my own.

57. PiƱa colada

58. Birch beer
I love birch beer!

59. Scrapple

60. Carob chips

61. S’mores
I still haven't tried vegan marshmallows.

62. Soy curls
these aren't available here, and I haven't bothered sending away for them.

63. Chickpea cutlets

64. Curry

65. Durian

66. Homemade Sausages

67. Churros, elephant ears, or funnel cake

68. Smoked tofu

69. Fried plantain

70. Mochi
there's some chestnut mochi in my fridge right now!

71. Gazpacho

72. Warm chocolate chip cookies

73. Absinthe
but I would! it's such a ritual though, I couldn't just buy a bottle of lucid and have a glass.

74. Corn on the cob

75. Whipped cream, straight from the can
soyatoo!

76. Pomegranate

77. Fauxstess Cupcake

78. Mashed potatoes with gravy
the chickpea gravy from VWaV is amazing.

79. Jerky

80. Croissants

81. French onion soup

82. Savory crepes

83. Tings

84. A meal at Candle 79

85. Moussaka
one of the first big vegan meals I made was the Moussaka from the Voluptuous Vegan

86. Sprouted grains or seeds

87. Macaroni and “cheese”

88. Flowers

89. Matzoh ball soup

90. White chocolate

91. Seitan

92. Kimchi

93. Butterscotch chips

94. Yellow watermelon

95. Chili with chocolate
I usually add some Mexican chocolate to my chili. It adds an amazing smoky flavour.

96. Bagel and Tofutti

97. Potato milk

98. Polenta

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

100. Raw cookie dough

1 comment:

Oliver Slay i Texidor said...

http://zorgster.com/blog/vegans-hundred